Thursday, August 3, 2017

Public Service Announcement - It's NOT a Choke

After much debate over three or more years, I have left the former association I was affiliated with for many long years.  I am not going into the how or why, or a smear campaign.  I have attempted to take the high road in many ways, and yet I have recently heard of some people smearing me.  I chose a low profile and thus have not posted anything in a year, and nothing at all since January when I did not renew.

First off, it was not my idea to take the entire KC group away.  In all seriousness, the KC group was trying to pry me away for 2-3 years before I finally gave in for reasons I will not list here.  I was the last one holding us in that organization.  Me, the one certain people are wrongfully saying was the kingpin and ring leader taking everyone away.  It was a difficult decision for me and suffice to say, was only acted upon after I felt it was truly affecting my health.  I tried hard before making the decision, to contribute and I believe the 2016 Summer Conference is proof of that where I invested thousands of dollars of my own money in a last ditch effort to get some exposure for the organization. 

I have no delusions of grandeur.  I will not ever be the best or most knowledgeable artist in the world nor in my little circle of friends.  I will not be a master.  I will not be the leader of a world organization with a throng of hundreds or thousands.  I will just be Lee, training as I always have.  Sharing as I always have.  I have no idea why people want to smear me.  I am not in competition with anyone.

I attempted to stay silent out of respect for Taika.  People are saying I started calling and emailing and messaging everyone in the association telling them that I was going and inviting them to come with me.  Again, I have no aspirations of leading anyone anywhere.  I will train in my basement dojo with those that want to train there, with my students and peers.  I will attend seminars here and there to increase my knowledge and if someone wants me to share, I will share.  I’m not greedy.  I ONLY let three close friends outside of the KC group know I was not renewing, only after myself and Lisa went and talked to Robin face to face.  We didn’t just send a cold letter, email or facebook message.  Probably the most difficult break up in my life.  That night, I told 3 close confidants that were out of town, only one of which was still remaining in the organization at the time and he still remains.  None of which I attempted to recruit to become my disciples. 

Only two people still in the organization have reached out to me and asked about it and I have talked to them about my base reasons.  I have not led a smear campaign.  I have disagreements with the philosophy of things and so I chose what was best suited for my physical and emotional needs after it was obvious we were set upon drastically different paths.  I left.  I will not voice the reasons of all the other yudansha and mudansha in the KC area.  All had their reasons and made their own choices, many of which many months or years prior to mine.  I have kept quiet for 8 months now, because it is not my place to sway others, as it should not be others' place to wrongfully smear me.

I still support the family in other ways.  I still pay with my own funds for their web site, as I have done for many, many years.  I gave the reigns of that endeavor over to Masaki Oyata last year, I have no input or anything on the site. I merely pay the bills out of respect for Taika. I know my departure wasn't appreciated or fully understood by the family, but I just couldn't remain under the circumstances.

If you have heard rumors, please check with the source.  I can be reached on this blog, on facebook, via the website’s email, and most of the people who would actually read this know my phone number.  I will not wave my sith lord hand and invite you to the dark side.  I don’t know any mind tricks.  I won’t play any games.

BLOOD CHOKE: And for those using Blood Choke as their vernacular for this or the Rear Naked Choke...you need to stop that as well.  Go back and look at the Japanese (kanji) and you will see it in no way translates to the word choke.  Wrong word brought back to English speaking countries by gaijin (foreigners) who had a few months in country and learned very little Japanese.  It is wrong.  It is incorrect.  Just because your sensei's sensei who served a few months on an island said it, doesn't change the fact that it is a poor and completely incorrect translation.

I am but a simple man, rolling over into my waning years of my physical limitations, and attempting to enjoy those years with less stress in my life.
Sincerely,

Lee Richards
oyatate.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Moderated to prevent spammers who are difficult to Tuite via the web. Your post will be revealed to the world upon verification that you are not a spamming trolling anonymous coward trying to pick a fight behind your keyboard without leaving a name.